Median home price: $1,192,200
Southside Place is a small incorporated city of less than 2,000 middle and upper-middle class residents that is almost entirely enclosed by the city of West University. With large 8,000 square foot lots, it contains some of the newest and most expensive houses in Texas. Bellaire Boulevard lies to the south.
Southside Place opened on Easter Day in 1925. Edlo L. Crain, the developer, placed a pool and a park in a subdivision to attract residents to the townsite. The first section to open was south of the park. It was in close proximity to Bellaire Boulevard and the streetcar line, which was nicknamed the "Toonerville Trolley." In 1926, development of the second section of Southside Place, which spanned from Harper Street to University Boulevard, began. The Great Depression slowed development.
Southside Place incorporated June in 1931 with 600 residents. The city council first met on June 15 of that year. On August 3, 1934 the city council passed a resolution that declared Southside Place an incorporated city. A post office opened in 1940. Before World War II the population stabilized around 1,400. In the 1960s the city reached a high 1,500 residents. By 1979 the number of residents fell to 1,263. In 1988 the city had 1,560 residents. In 1990 the city had 1,384 residents.
In early 2009 Southside Place announced that it will demolish its previous municipal buildings and build a new multi-story municipal complex.